Thursday, February 11, 2010

Thoughts from work

I was told today to ‘never let anyone know who you really are’. Only yesterday I was thinking about how we all have some knowledge about something random hidden until someone gets to know us. Why would you hide something so valuable?
Let me put the conversation in context though.

I was in the kitchen of my next office with my hair tied back and a skirt on so a colleague saw my tattoo and nape piercing (neither really outrageous, if fact I think at work I look fairly sensible), after a brief conversation about when I got them and where (after I already had a job and so I was able to hide them if needed) the colleague commented that one of the other gentlemen in the office was actually covered in tattoos, this surprised me because there are no visible tattoos as he wears a long sleeve shirt and pants to work. This is the point where my colleague started talking about being ‘Grey’ meaning not letting people in on who you are just appealing to what they need. I can only assume that he was referring to the workforce, yet still an interesting comment.
We spend more time at work and with people we work with/for then we do at home with family and loved ones yet work is the place that you are meant to hide your personality?

And beyond that, as I said in my first paragraph, I have noticed of recent the random knowledge people have that if you just listen you will learn something new.
What I know of Australian history I learn between year 4 and 6, such stories of bush rangers and gold mining never really appealed to me yet when a girl started talking about ‘Captain Thunderbolt’ (I assumed she was talking about a comic book) and his story I realised that this girl must has researched this independently. I know few (and I am sad to say that I do know people who don’t have any real interest) people who aren’t fascinated or interested in something, a culture, sport, music, art, subculture. And of course when people are interested in something they will go and research it, so many people will have a wealth of knowledge in a certain area.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment me and I'll be sure to check your blog and possibly comment back =]

Followers

Posts from the past

Counter

free html hit counter